Sunday, March 1, 2009

IT'S SNOWING HERE IN THE SOUTH!




Coming out of

church!











Coming through downtown of "Gone With The Wind" territory.

I know, I know for all of you people up north, this is not a big deal, but for all of us that grew up here in the deep south, y'all, IT'S A BIG DEAL.

Do you know what happend when we have three snowflakes? Everything closes, people do a run on all the grocery stores and it's like a ghost town!


This morning before church we heard thunder, then we had some sleet and it continued to rain. We went on to church in the rain with a little snow mix here and there. We chatted with friends and made our way to our "regular" seats. If we are standing we can see outside, but when we were seated we couldn't see a thing, so I "excused" myself for a minute, made my way around to the opposite side of the building from where we sit and politely opened the blinds on the doors from the auditorium to the foyer. We had a straight view of what was happening outside. It was SNOWING and I means it was snowing hard. During church we got about an inch of snow, please don't laugh y'all, that's a lot of snow for us. Even the pastor made a comment about what was happening outside. It was not my intention to bring to HIS attention that it was snowing, but he did mention something about what has been happening outside.

This is what what happened while we were in church! We have never seen snowflakes this large since we went snowmobiling in Yellowstone National Park. It so reminded us of how beautiful all the snow was and how large the flakes can be. They must have been about half the size of my hand.




Almost home!







The roads are covered with slush, but the temperature has been right at 34 degrees all day, so that slush will turn to ice when it gets dark and that is a another story. It's almost 6:00 p.m. and we are still getting snow. We already know that all the schools and probably many businesses will be closed tomorrow. I suspect the roads will be pretty bad in the morning as the forecast is 25 degrees tomorrow morning, but it is suppose to be sunny with a high of 45 degrees. Hopefully, the roads will be okay after the sun gets up, because I tell you the people from here do not know how to drive on snow covered roads, and most of the yankee transplants don't know either!







You have to understand that when it snows here in the south, everything STOPS! Everyone thinks they are going to be unable to get to the grocery story for DAYS, so there is a huge run on all the grocery stores for bread and milk. I always wondered why not stock up on everything else while you are there. So very quickly the shelves are stripped of all bread and milk. I would think you would need something to go between those pieces of bread.

My dear friend that lives in northern Virginia just called me, and she is stuck in Jacksonville, FL and is trying to get back to Virginia. Many flights have been cancelled and she already knows she will not be getting out today. The airline told her tomorrow morning, we shall see.




Finally, we are home!







Today is my nieces birthday and she was really excited that we have all this snow on her special day. She was really excited. I think that's pretty special as well. Happy Birthday, Lizzie!

4 comments:

josie2shoes said...

You, Mary and Andrew all got to enjoy a beautiful snowfall. What a lovely thing to wake up to! We haven't had any snow this year and it's looking less and less likely. I miss it, but not slippery roads.

Mary said...

Just the right amount of snow to create a bit of excitement and an appreciation for nature's wonders. Now it's time to move on to spring.

Bill C said...

*sigh* We miss snow. Living in central Florida we're even less likely than you to see flakes. :)

Thanks for finding your way to my weblog, and for your kind words. Yes, I've not posted regularly for "a while" now. One day soon, though...

And congratulations on your 40+ years together! My wife and I were married in '75 so we're not *too* far behind. We're told to store up treasures in heaven, and we should - but a lifelong relationship with a dear spouse is as fine an earthly treasure as I can imagine.

Regards,
bc (yet another Bill)

Unknown said...

HAHA! I got mentioned on your blog!!! Yay! And I was excited! SNOW! On my BIRTHDAY! I've NEVER gotten snow on my birthday! =)