Saturday, March 31, 2007

News from Tidewater












John C. Campbell Folk School

Well, it's been a while since our last post. Seems like things have been pretty routine around Tidewater until this past week.

Hubby has just returned from taking a tinsmith course at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina. He enjoyed the class, but he was really glad to get back home. He was able to stay with the sister and brother-in-law, Herb and Linda, of some close friends from Sunday School. These are the items he made in class. I did the math and they cost him $139.50 each. What a deal! However, he wanted to take this class, we've worked a long time, and why not!!?? We are spending our retirement.







Left Photo
This is Herb and Linda's home where Hubby stayed--what a nice place!




Right Photo--Hubby's tinsmith class




I went up on Wednesday, along with another really great friend from church, Stephanie--my Aussie friend and we had lunch with Linda, then drove over to the school, took a tour of the tinsmith class and some of the other classes close by--like the pottery class. Then we were off to the gift shop. I also met with the instructor of the hammer dulcimer class to see how much my hammer dulcimer is worth. I wanting to sell it, but had no clue what it's worth. Why keep something under the bed collecting dust when you can't play it, really don't have an interest in learning to play it, so it's like having money stashed collecting dust.

It's spring, we haven't had ANY rain in over two weeks and the pollen is AWFUL!!! When you walk from the car into the house you leave footprints in the yellow stuff. I'm trying to stay inside to keep the yellow powder out of my lungs. Historically, we get the most rain in March and we are already in a four inch deficit just for the month and I believe a seven inch deficit for the year. Not looking good for the summer months. We are suppose to be getting rain today, but the sun has just come out. When it does rain we are going to have yellow rivers of pollen. Lord, please sent rain.
In addition to no rain we have had way above average temperatures--low to mid 80's, then the past two days it's dropped back to normal--mid to upper 60-s, so we decided to have a fire last evening, supposing it just might be the last one of the year. I built a nice fire, left the room for just a few minutes and came back to find the room really smokey. I thought I had lost my touch for building wonderful, roaring fires, but I pulled out the fan, got the smoke moved out and went to work on the fire. It turned out and made the den really cozy.
Well, I managed to delete two of my photos and have had to reload them, so I'm going to quite before I delete any more.
One has thing. I've added a link to our blog. I have found a WONDERFUL blog written by a REAL SOUTHERN LADY! She will have you in tears from laughter one second and then tears from the tender writings. I'm addicted to BooMama's Blog. Check it out!!!! http://www.boomama.net
Hubby has announced we are going to the Pro Bass Shop in Macon to look for a boat cover. What fun! He wants to do that and I want to be with him, so I'm going to the Pro Bass Shop and I'll enjoy it.

No comments: